<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 24, 2005

The Counsel of L Ron
Earlier this week JB mused about Tom and Katie and wondered if this indicated that he’s jumped the shark. I don’t know about that, especially if he continues to allow dazzlingly charismatic guest-bloggers to sound off once in a while. I suspect that JB has at least a few good posts left in him.

But he got me thinking. I have no comment about Scientology as a faith, except to stress, for legal purposes, that I'm sure it's not a wacko cult founded by a hack scifi dullard who, according to several sources, identified religion as a sacred cash cow ripe for the milking. Perish the thought!

Honestly, 75 million year-old galactic overlords notwithstanding, Scientology strikes me as no more inherently ridiculous than Raelianism or any other evidence-free faith. And if someone concludes that Thetans are behind the failure of Battlefield Earth, who am I to tell him otherwise?

All I know from first-hand experience is that, in 1992, during a 90-minute session with a so-called "Clear," I saw him open and smoke an entire pack of Marlboro Reds. As far as I'm concerned, smoke 'em if you got 'em, but doesn't that seem a trifle excessive for an hour and a half?

Verily, thou cannot judge the validity of a faith by the pinkness of its adherents' lungs, but the whole scene creeped me out. And that was just the at the meet-n-greet! What would I have seen once I'd signed the contract?

I excused myself at the earliest opportunity and never darkened their door again. I received a few subsequent entreaties, but ultimately I think that they sensed that my finances made me an unsuitable acolyte, and they left me alone.
All in all, it was easier to cut loose from Scientology than from AOL, which last night contacted me for no less than the sixth time since I cancelled my service.

So what's the point of all this? Not much, but if Ms. Holmes is serious about her interest in The Church, I hope that she owns stock in Philip Morris.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?