<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, July 11, 2004

The Flare-Up After the Burnout
Well, this whole blogger burnout thing is interesting. Just as I got my mojo back after a week of resting it, so did Billmon, who's reopened the Whiskey Bar, on almost the very same day Wired wrote about his hiatus. If you, like me, thought that the indictment of Enron's Kenneth Lay got a distinctly lukewarm treatment as news last week, Billmon explains how enormous a scandal it really is. It's a tale of purchased political influence that makes Whitewater and the supposed scandal over foreign contributions to the Gore campaign look like the 12-hour wonders they should have been, because its impact continues right up to this very morning. But because it's complicated (and because it makes Our Maximum Leader look less like the Anointed of God and more like an influence-peddling pol), it's being misreported, if not ignored, by the bought-and-paid-for media.

As for my own mojo, one of the things that helped rejuvenate it were those posts I wrote about the Starland Vocal Band, "Smoke on the Water," and other musical topics. But since that kind of thing doesn't really belong on this blog, I've started another one especially for them. So "The Hits Just Keep On Comin'" is now open, and I hope you'll click over there once in a while. My house is full of records, tapes, CDs, and books about music, and my head is full of stories and thoughts about the stuff I've listened to and read about for more than 30 years. "The Hits Just Keep On Comin'" is where the stories will come out.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?