<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Where's Johnny Carson When You Need Him?
The bloggers are in the house at the Democratic Convention and hard at work. From Centerfield, there' this report on a session called "Red God, Blue God: The God Gap in American Politics." (Like every other convention, a national political convention has smaller sessions during the day and mass meetings at other times.) You'll want to read the comments on this one, as they parallel some of the ones seen on this blog whenever I take up religion. Interesting factoid: 40 percent of Catholics don't know John Kerry is Catholic.

From Press Think: Thoughts on the conventions as a wayback machine for the media (including some astonishing quotes from the AP's Walter Mears, who's covered a few) and as disastrous TV programs. Jay Rosen suggests that instead of running out New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson as the "host," the Democrats should find someone who could hold the "show" together like Billy Crystal does at the Oscars.

I watched a little last night. I missed Barack Obama, but I read the transcript this morning. Ron Reagan's speech was terrific. Maybe I was just tired, but Teresa Heinz Kerry didn't do much for me. (I do think this: People who hate Hillary are going to hate her even more.) I'd forgotten that her first husband was a Republican. The film introducing her to the convention last night noted that when John Heinz was killed in that 1991 plane crash, Republican leaders approached Teresa about running for his seat.

I doubt you saw all of the film (or any of it) if you watched a commercial network last night. C-SPAN is carrying the DNC feed of the convention without commentary. And if that means I can watch it unfiltered without dim bulbs like Judy Woodruff trying to tell me what to think (when she can barely articulate what she thinks herself), then good for C-SPAN.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?