<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Quotes of the Year
It is never easy to pick a quote that sums up the year, and especially not in 2004. One good candidate might be what a friend said to me just yesterday: "I keep hearing stories about the inauguration coming up, and I think--my God, haven't the next four years even started yet?"

But I keep returning to a quote that was first uttered in 2000, and which became the guiding mantra of this blog last year. During the Florida recount, Hunter S. Thompson wrote a column that still gets at the tenor of the times as well as anything written in the intervening four years, or uttered in 2004. He wrote:
We are living in dangerously weird times now. Smart people just shrug and admit they're dazed and confused. The only ones left with any confidence at all are the New Dumb. It is the beginning of the end of our world as we knew it. Doom is the operative ethic.
An accurate appraisal of 2004, I think. Thompson concluded the column by promising:
Guaranteed Fear and Loathing. Abandon all hope. Prepare for the Weirdness. Get familiar with Cannibalism.
Good advice for 2005, I think. Some more Quotes of the Year 2004, as featured in this blog, are here.

With that, this blog is going on hiatus until at least Monday, December 27. (There's a Christmas post up at The Hits Just Keep On Comin', if you need a fix.) Your homework assignment in my absence is to click at least two sites in my links list that you've never visited before. And also to have a wonderful holiday celebration, whatever it entails and wherever it takes you.

Peace.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?