<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 13, 2004

They Often Call Me Speedo
I am getting down to the end of my 2004 page-a-day George W. Bushisms calendar. I think my favorite was the one that wasn't a quote at all, but a reference to the day he waved hello to Stevie Wonder. Second on the list is this one from last week, a quote from the day in 2001 when Bush welcomed the University of Nebraska's national championship women's volleyball team to the White House: "It's important for young men and women who look at the Nebraska champs to understand that quality of life is more than just blocking shots."

I have read it several times, and I have actually found myself thinking about it when I am not at my desk because it is such majestic nonsense. It looks like a sentence and it sounds like a sentence, but it's as divorced from meaning as if he'd said "Ham sandwich going bucket of rubber glowing under water." Not only can't I imagine what he meant, I can't figure out what he was trying to say.

More Fun With Random Words: One of the tools available to me as master of this website lets me see how various visitors are referred to it--whether they type in the URL of the site directly, for example, or get here via some other link. If somebody searches on a particular phrase or group of words and my site is one of the hits that comes back, I know that, too. For example, over the weekend, somebody searched MSN for the phrase "photos of gay guys wrestling in speedos," and one of my posts came up eighth on a list of 1,476 hits.

I have no idea.

Recommended Reading: Sometimes a good website with a bad name can end up being unjustly ignored. (World O'Crap is an example I've noted here before.) I have tended to ignore Smirking Chimp for the same reason, but no more. If you haven't checked the Smirking Chimp news ticker on the right side of this page, I suggest you do so, and regularly, because the site is invaluable in collecting the best writing from the blogosphere every day. Two pieces no longer on the ticker but still worth your time, if you're interested in the religio-cultural struggle currently going on in our country, are "Seeds of the American Taliban" and "Is Bush the Antichrist?" Not happy stuff, but interesting, and only related by inference to photos of gay guys wrestling in speedos.

One More Thing: It's your last chance to vote in the Quarterfinals of the Most Loathsome Conservative contest. The semifinals begin later this week, so if you haven't voted, do.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?