<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Boneheads
Conservatives often act like they're from some other goddamn planet where the muddled and dopey is self-evidently clear, and the self-evidently clear is fraught with ambiguity and danger and Must Be Stopped Before All Is Lost.

Currently visiting the spot on the Earth we call Wisconsin is State Representative Mark Gundrum of New Berlin--Republican-occupied territory in the Milwaukee suburbs. Gundrum says Wisconsin needs a state constitutional amendment defining marriage as being between one man and one woman (as opposed to the state law we already have that defines marriage as between a man and wife) because if we don't have it, students will be confused. According to a news report on a packed hearing held today on the bill, "He argued that the Wisconsin school system would have to teach teens about families with gay parents if gay people were allowed to marry in the state." Apparently teaching about gay parents is confusing if you have a bone in your head that makes you afraid of gay people--for the rest of us, it's not all that complicated.

I'm more confused, however, about why the amendment would be better than the law I already have--but maybe if I had that bone in my head, I wouldn't be.

Gundrum also said that society needs to be protected from "protected from gay parents who couldn't provide 'gender equality' for their children." I've been to college (twice) and I consider myself a well-educated person, but I have no idea what that means. Truly I don't. And I'm not just saying that. I honestly cannot imagine what that means.

(Don Quixote at Silent Speaking is on the other side of the world from Wisconsin, but he's confused about about homophobia, too.)

Nice Try: But not enough. Go to your room and think about it some more.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?