<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Seven Wonders
(This post has been slightly edited since it first appeared.)
I am really trying to avoid writing anything pithy or significant this week, so I'm doing another one of those Internet memes, to go along with the meme of fours from earlier this week. This one is the meme of seven:

Seven things to do before I die:
1. Visit the place where Wordsworth saw the daffodils
2. Visit San Francisco
3. Have at least one more glass of Kentucky Breakfast
4. Vote for the winning presidential candidate again
5. Own a house on a lake
6. Finish the book on 1970s music I abandoned six years ago
7. Get back on the air someplace

Seven things I cannot do:

1. Read a book with the TV on
2. Eat fried eggs
3. Watch Fox News
4. Work with any tool other than a pry bar
5. Keep my desk organized
6. Swim
7. Drink coffee

Seven things that attract me to blogging:
1. Having an audience
2. The process of deciding what to write about
3. Doing the writing
4. Doing the rewriting
5. Getting comments from readers
6. A sixth thing
7. A seventh thing

Seven things I say most often:

1. Damn cats
2. That's gonna leave a mark
3. Fucking Republicans
4. Christ, it's cold in here
5. Did you put dinner away?
6. Well, dammit!
7. Just the big soda refill, thanks

Seven books that I love:

Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon
A Widow for One Year by John Irving
Top Pop Singles 1955-1986, edited by Joel Whitburn
Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson
The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella
Sweet Soul Music by Peter Guralnick
Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do by Peter McWilliams

Seven movies that I watch over and over again:

1.-4. The four from earlier this week
5. A League of Their Own
6. Moonstruck
7. Magnolia

Seven songs I play over and over:
1. "Games People Play" by the Spinners
2. "So What" by Miles Davis
3. "Moonlight Feels Right" by Starbuck
4. "Always and Forever" by Charles Earland
5. "Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs
6. "The Philosopher's Stone" by Van Morrison
7. "The Love I Lost" by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes

Seven people I want to join in on this meme, whatever parts are applicable, either in the comments here or on their own blogs:
1. Tom Herbst
2. Commenter kn
3. TK from Paralysis of the Mind
4. j from Silent Speaking
5. He Who Shall Not Be Named (just to see if he'll know of anything he can't do)
6. The Mrs.
7. God (because I want to know what movies he digs)

Recommended Reading: Snooty Republican mom Kathleen Parker says that blogs are bad and that people she calls "bloggies" are snotty and impolite and should learn their place. As much as I hate linking to a blog that's mostly conservative, Outside the Beltway takes the bitch down. Snotty enough for ya, Kate?

Also, the Pulitzer Prize people considered giving The Onion an award for its post 9/11 issue, which contained some of the paper's best satire ever. This week's issue, featuring the Top 10 Stories of 2005, is almost as good.

And finally, I just found this today, although it's been up nearly two months: Calvin Trillin's poem about White House Values.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?