<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It's Hard Out Here for a Blogger
Let's hit a few things quickly, since I haven't got very much time this morning:

The Costanza Administration: There's a Seinfeld episode in which (for reasons too complicated to get into here) Jerry wants George to teach him how to beat a lie-detector test. George says he can't, but then says, "Remember, Jerry, it's not a lie if you believe it." Dateline London:
The U.S. attorney general defended his country's treatment of terror suspects against criticism from Europe and elsewhere, saying Tuesday that the United States abhors torture and respects the rights of detainees.

Alberto Gonzales also said the U.S. did not transport terrorism suspects to nations where it was likely they could be tortured.
You wonder how Gonzales can spout such obvious nonsense over and over and still be able look at himself in the mirror every morning--unless he really believes what he's saying. The alternative--that he's a man without a conscience--is grim indeed.

A Day Behind, as Usual: I haven't watched the Oscars for years, although The Mrs. usually does. I did catch the performance of the rappers who ended up winning Best Song for "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp," which indicates that movie music has pretty much jumped the shark as an art form. Apparently Jon Stewart didn't knock people out as host, but I wouldn't know, as I am apparently the only lefty blogger on Earth who doesn't watch The Daily Show. What surprised me the most is that for the first time in years, I'd actually seen the Best Picture winner before the Oscars were handed out. Crash is one of the best movies I've seen in years, but then again, I like that whole interlocking stories/ensemble drama thing.

One More Thing:
Do not visit this website if you want to get anything done at work today. If you disregard my advice and visit anyway, mute your speakers first.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?